Last updated on June 21st, 2018 at 06:08 am
If you didn’t meal prep and don’t know what to eat for lunch this week – throw together this easy & healthy lunch bowl in less than 10 minutes! It’s vegan and you can adjust the recipe to your own needs & taste!
Okay, okay, okay.
So is this bowl similar to the “Mediterranean Bowl” I made a while ago?
Of course it is. Duh, it’s almost the same.
You know why?
Because this is what I always have in my pantry/fridge:
- Olive oil
Those are my basics. I ALWAYS have them. ALWAYS.
Whenever I try to meal prep – I find my food containers full of mold weeks after.
It’s pretty disgusting and Penicillin has already been discovered, so there’s really no detective work for me to do there.
Therefore, I stopped pretending to meal prep. At least not full dishes.
But ingredients for dishes?
Aaaahhh. Also not. Well, sometimes.
Mostly though, I rely on my basics.
Because I’ve found it’s close to a miracle how a jar of chickpeas and some tahini can transform your life.
For example they can help you make a healthy vegan lunch in 10 minutes, even if you haven’t cooked quinoa, baked sweet potatoes, scrambled tofu or seared mushrooms.
Look at this bowl.
Is it something genius?
It’s super simple and super basic.
Here’s all you need:
- Some lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes/ other veggies
- Roasted peppers / or grilled zucchini
- Toasted Whole Grain Bread
And yet… It’s better than a sandwich, better than pizza, definitely better than McDonalds.
If you’re trying to lose weight/ struggling to eat healthy…
If for whatever reason, you can’t or don’t like meal prep and think there’s no way for you to stick to a healthy diet, I’m telling you: MAKE this.
You don’t need to meal prep to eat healthy and lose weight.
You don’t need to wait until next week to start eat healthy. Start today. Even if you had doughnuts for breakfast.
Forgive and forget and start fresh!
This is a quick healthy lunch that can help you stay on track with your diet. It will fuel your body with all the nutrients you need to live life (not just to hibernate in front of a computer).
The Easy Way To Make This Healthy Lunch Bowl
Make cooking healthy work for you:
- You can buy hummus from the store, meal prep your own or make it very quickly right before.
- The roasted peppers I used are from my dad, but I think you can also buy similar in a jar, grill your own or use fresh ones (great source of vitamin C!)
- Then all you need is a jar of chickpeas and artichokes (and they’re optional).
- To make the salad: chop some cucumber, some lettuce, some tomatoes – throw those vegetables in a bowl, mix with olive oil, salt and vinegar and you’re done.
- Then put EVERYTHING in a lunch bowl, toast some bread or don’t if you don’t eat bread.
And it’s ready: a super simple healthy lunch for work (or wherever) and it’s vegan!
Meal Prep Lunch Bowl Option:
Even though there’s absolutely no need to, you can also meal prep this lunch bowl if you have NO TIME during the week and don’t trust yourself around unhealthy food.
Here are the changes you need to make to meal prep this bowl:
- Don’t add dressing/oil to the salad and use whole cherry tomatoes instead of slicing tomatoes – otherwise it will get soggy.
- If you’re using bread, toast it right before using or buy fresh.
You can adjust this bowl any way you want, here are some other additions/swaps:
- if you’re not vegan – you can also add another source of protein
- roasted seeds/ nuts
- grilled vegetables (like zucchini or eggplant)
- any additional sauce (for example this avocado dill sauce or roasted peppers sauce)
Easy healthy lunch bowl with hummus and vegetables that you can make in under 10 minutes – it’s simple, vegan and very healthy!
2 lettuce leaves, thinly sliced
3 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber, cubed
1/2 cup arugula, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp vinegar/lemon juice
salt to taste
1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp hummus
2 artichokes from a jar
2-3 roasted peppers
1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
ground black pepper
whole grain bread (optional)
Salad: In a small bowl mix lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, arugula, scallions, olive oil, vinegar/lemon juice. Add salt.
In your lunch bowl arrange the salad, chickpeas, radishes, roasted peppers, artichokes and hummus. Grind black pepper and sprinkle roasted sesame seeds.
Enjoy lunch with or without bread!
Meal Prep Option: You can buy everything pre-made (hummus, artichokes, grilled peppers, chickpeas) except for the salad. To make the salad ahead – don’t add the dressing ingredients (so no lemon juice/vinegar & olive oil) and don’t slice the tomatoes. Keep in separate containers in the fridge and assemble when it’s time to eat.
I hope you enjoy this easy lunch bowl – if you do make sure to subscribe below for more easy and healthy recipes that take almost no time.