Chicken, bacon and avocado are one of my favorite flavor combinations on this planet. It’s salty, savory and creamy all at once, and perfect for any occasion. This Chicken Sausage, Bacon and Avocado Stuffed Mushrooms recipe utilizes these flavors in a way that is fantastic for a cookout — stuffing them in a big, meaty mushroom cap!
If you’re going to use a grill pan indoors like I did this time, follow the directions as stated, using the time that the mushrooms and sausages are cooking to do your stuffing prep. However, if you’re going to make these outside on a grill, prepare the stuffing ahead of time so that you can just pop it into the mushrooms when they’re fresh off the grill. The lime juice will keep the avocados from browning for a little while, so you shouldn’t have any trouble taking the stuffing with you.
- 8 baby Portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- 2 links natural chicken sausage
- 1 avocado
- 1 small handful baby spinach leaves
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked until it is crumbly
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- Place mushroom caps and sausages on the grill to cook, turning halfway though. Grill for about 10 minutes or until sausages are cooked through and mushroom caps are tender.
- Dice the avocado and place it in a bowl. Add the lime juice and garlic salt and stir to combine. Crumble your bacon slices into the bowl and shred the spinach (no need to cook the spinach — the heat from the mushrooms and sausages will easily wilt the spinach once everything is together). Mix everything together.
- When the sausages are done, slice them up and crumble them into the bowl with the rest of the stuffing.
- Stuff mushroom caps to desired fullness and serve!