Memorial Day is the unofficial official kick-off to summer! And I can hardly wait! Summer is BBQ season and I love me some good BBQ. Not because of the meats, sauce, hot dogs or pie. Nope, my favorite part about BBQs are the sides! I know what you are thinking… If you are Paleo you can’t eat most of the sides. You’re Wrong! That’s where this Paleo Red White and Blue Potato Salad comes in!
It’s true that there are many sides that aren’t Paleo, but there are few that are and many just need a little tweaking. So, for your next BBQ offer to bring a side and whip out this amazing potato salad. It is definitely a crowd pleaser! This particular recipe feeds four (or 1 if you really like potato salad…just sayin’).
- 1 1/2 lbs red, yellow, purple fingerling potatoes
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and peeled
- 2-3 dill pickles, chopped
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp of yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup of Paleo mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp of fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp of salt, divided
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper or paprika
- In a medium sized pot, put washed and scrubbed potatoes. Leave the skins on! Fill the pot with water to cover potatoes 1-2 inches. Add 1 Tbsp of salt and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil reduce the heat but keep at a gentle simmer and put a lid on it. It will take about 20 minutes to get potatoes fork tender. You want to make sure that you don’t over cook the potatoes so that they turn to mush in the salad. (Unless you like yours that way of course!)
- Remove boiled potatoes and let completely cool. ~2 hours in the refrigerator.
- In a medium to large mixing bowl combine, mayonnaise, chopped scallions, mustard and pickles.
- Chopped up the hard boiled eggs and add to the bowl with the remaining Tbsp of salt.
- Stir just to combine. Chop up the potatoes into cubes and add to the bowl with ground pepper.
- Stir just to combine, being careful to not break up the eggs or potatoes too much. Smooth out the top and sprinkle with cayenne or paprika.
You don’t have to make this with fingerling potatoes. I just find them particularly festive for memorial day! I also add in jalapenos for a spicer vibe or substitute pepperoncinis and olives for dill pickles for a mediterranean vibe. However you make it, just prepare to be asked to bring the potato salad every time this summer!