It’s the most wonderful time of the year! However, amidst all the holiday cheer, the season can also bring along stress and anxiety for some, as we tend to put our self-care on the back burner. Here are 7 simple ways to spark your bliss and practice self care throughout the holiday season and beyond!
By Rachel Kaczynski, Healthy Chicks
- Set your Seasonal Intention: While goals can be helpful at times, intentions are more soul-centered, based upon how you want to feel versus what you want to have. Just like the seasons change, our intentions do as well. Spend some time with yourself this holiday season to get really clear on your “why,” starting by asking yourself how you want to feel. There’s no reason to wait for New Year’s to do so!
- Start a Gratitude Journal: When we take time to express gratitude for what we already do have, more abundance flows into our life. A gratitude journal is a great place start, especially as we’re approaching Thanksgiving! Challenge yourself to write down 3 things you are grateful for each and every day, and watch as your life begins to shift in a positive way.
- Practice Positive Affirmations: We all have off days and while can’t control what happens to us, we can control our mindset – that is, the way we view the situation. Positive affirmations are a fun way to help you shift your mindset! My Spark Your Bliss affirmation card deck contains 36 cards, complete with journaling prompts, mantras and supporting action steps to get you started. Try pulling a card each morning to begin your day on a more positive, blissful note! (Hint: Spread the holiday cheer by gifting one to yourself, a friend or family member!)
- Let go of Negativity & Clutter: Is your life feeling a bit cluttered as the holiday season approaches? You’re not alone! Remove physical clutter by cleaning out the kitchen cabinets, organizing your workspace or donating clothes that no longer fit you to make room for your cozy winter wardrobe! It’s also important to let go of emotional baggage, by removing yourself from relationships and situations that bring negativity into your life. Ask yourself who in your “tribe” brings out your best self, and spend more time with those people!
- Spend time in Nature: When life seems to be moving too fast, spending time in nature is an excellent way to get grounded. Bundle up for a brisk hike, take a 10 to 15-minute lunch break by yourself on a park bench, and breathe in the fresh air. Consider a walking meditation to get back to your roots and be alone with thoughts, 100% unplugged.
- Nourish Yourself with Seasonal Eats: Eating with the seasons – the way Mother Nature intended – is a wonderful way to nourish your body, mind and soul. Hit the supermarket or a local farmer’s market to load up on seasonal produce like spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, apples, beets and pears. Feel free to get creative in the kitchen, or bring a healthy, seasonally inspired dish to your next holiday party!
- Pamper Yourself: We are so used to putting everyone else first, but it’s time to take yourself off the back burner (and quit apologizing for it). Book a trip to the spa, take a warm bath, buy yourself a new book, or give yourself permission to simply rest and have a “me day.” Do whatever makes you feel good, and don’t feel the least bit guilty!
Rachel Kaczynski is a new mama, Health Coach and creator of “Spark Your Bliss” Affirmation Card Deck. She’s the founder of Healthy Chicks (www.healthy-chicks.com), a wellness blog inspiring women to live happier, healthier, more vibrant lives (without dieting).