Laurel Wassner is the first cancer survivor to win an Ironman Triathlon. Her story is no different than most survivors, only that she was diagnosed the year after she graduated college and when she was at the prime of her health. It took her six months’ worth of chemotherapy plus five long years of recovery to get back into fighting shape. Before she fully recovered, Laurel worked as a photographer’s intern and photo editor until she made a career out of being a triathlete in 2008. She competed twice at the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii and is currently training to compete again this year.
In this episode, Laurel shares her cancer survival story. She describes what it was like to hear she had an awful disease at such a young age and how it changed her perspective on life. She also explains the kind of training regimen she did post-chemotherapy as well as her diet, and shares tips for those who aspire to be triathletes.
“The best way to learn is learning from someone who’s done it before.” Laurel Wassner
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What’s missing with today’s generation in terms of fitness?
- How finding out she had cancer affected her and her thoughts on acquiring it despite having a fit lifestyle.
- The type of training she did to get her fitness back.
- How she mentally trained to be strong throughout her ordeal.
- Why you don’t need those who weren’t there with you during your worst.
- What her diet was like post-chemo.
- What does a typical day look like to her?
- How much food does a triathlete need on a daily basis?
- Being with a group can help motivate you to train and they might even lend you gear for competition.
- You have to make choices. You can go down the negative road or the positive one. Sometimes, however, you’re too tired to take the positive road and that’s fine.
Connect with Laurel:
Rate, Review, Connect, Inspire
Stay updated on new episodes, guest interviews, and health, wellness, and fitness information and resources by subscribing to the FitFluential Radio Show on iTunes. Every day we bring you actionable insight, demystified truth, and simple steps to help you navigate the complex, often confusing health, wellness, and fitness information and answer the questions you’ve been asking.