Pregnancy and Chiropractic
If you’re pregnant or have been pregnant before, you know what it can do to your body. Once your body begins to take on a considerable amount of weight, it tries to balance out by finding a new center of gravity. This can do some damage to your posture. Pregnant women often experience an “S” curve to their backs, changes in the pelvis, and a protruding abdomen. You don’t have to live with these issues indefinitely, as chiropractic care can help.
Benefits to Mom
Visiting the chiropractor during pregnancy can benefit the expectant mother in a variety of ways. These include:
- Restoring Pelvic Balance – By putting the spine back into alignment, the body becomes properly balanced once again. This alleviates the stress that often comes with intrauterine constraint, which affects both the mother and the baby. Pelvic balance can reduce the pain and time of labor and delivery.
- Relieving Morning Sickness – Some pregnant women have reported feeling relieved of morning sickness symptoms after regular chiropractic care. While it is unknown the relation between the two, it’s most likely the fact that chiropractic care makes the body whole again, which benefits every aspect of health.
- Relieving Pain – A lot of the pain experienced during pregnancy is due to pinched nerves or subluxation. When a chiropractor is involved, he or she can complete the proper adjustments that relieve the pain associated with such issues.
- Possibly Preventing a Cesarean Delivery – While this can’t always be helped, it’s possible chiropractic treatment will prevent a cesarean delivery. When the body is relaxed and more agile, it better performs the way it is supposed to. Chiropractic care can also open up the hips and pelvis so they are ready for delivery.
Benefits to Baby
When a mom receives chiropractic care during pregnancy, it can benefit the baby in a variety of ways as well. This includes:
- Creating Space – As previously mentioned, intrauterine constraint is when an outer force puts pressure on the womb, eliminating space needed for baby to move and develop correctly. When chiropractors work to eliminate this problem, the baby can develop as needed, possibly reducing the chance of birth defects.
- Reducing Stress – When mom’s body is limber and ready for delivery because of chiropractic care, it puts less stress on baby as he or she is coming through the birth canal.
Receiving More Information
Pregnancy comes with a lot of aches and pains you might rather do without. The good news is with chiropractic care, you can get to delivery day with as few symptoms as possible. Contact a chiropractor, like a chiropractor in Glen Burnie, MD, to receive more information today.
Thanks to Mid Atlantic Spinal Rehab & Chiropractic for their insight into the benefits of chiropractic treatment during pregnancy.